Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Take Three: Sound...


In my experience spending time by the sea makes you grow accustomed to the sound of crashing waves. I am sure people who live on train lines will tell us that after a while the sound blends into the background of their day to day life unnoticed. In the building next to my office live a group of disabled children. One of these children makes a constant loud humming sound every moment he is awake. In my first week I decided the sound must have come from some sort of wind tunnel, noticing that the sound remained unchanged in all weather conditions I asked another worker about it. Her response was “it must be the sound of a child next door, I don’t hear it anymore”. Today I thought back on this conversation and realized that suddenly I don't hear him either unless focus hard enough. I have become so used to the sound of his struggle that I don’t notice it anymore. It makes me wonder, how much in life can we train ourselves to ignore when it is staring us in the face, or ringing in our ears…

No comments:

Post a Comment