Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Take Eight: Tea- A Cup of Life


I have to say, tea really is a cup of life, and possibly the solution to all the world's problems. After an exhausting day I arrived home in that awkward time of the evening. Everyone is familiar with this moment, when you realise it is too late for a snack but dinner is almost ready. My mind was a jumble and the idea of deciding what to nibble just seemed too much for my brain to bear. Pondering what would help me last until dinner I decided that tea and Tim Tams were the answer. I opened the Tim Tam tin to find my trusty brother in law had cleaned them out again. Slightly disheartened by this I proceeded to make myself a milky, sweet cup of perfection. Immediately I felt revived, to top it all off, my mug of choice was ready and waiting for me rather than abandoning me for the dishwasher.
So I have to say, thank you Mr Twinings, with or without Tim Tams you continue to be heaven in a mug.
Every sly comment I am subjected to about how I am a control freak when it comes to the order in which my tea is constructed is well and truly worth it when I sit down to my mug of peace and quiet.
It seems that I am not at all alone in my love of a cuppa, I was astonished by the number of quotes online about the timeless goodness that is tea.
Here are my favorites:
1. There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea. ~Bernard-Paul Heroux
2. Tea...is a religion of the art of life. ~Okakura
3. Tea's proper use is to amuse the idle, and relax the studious, and dilute the full meals of those who cannot use exercise, and will not use abstinence. ~Samuel Johnson
4. There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea. ~Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady
5. If you are cold, tea will warm you. If you are too heated, it will cool you. If you are depressed, it will cheer you. If you are excited, it will calm you. ~Gladstone, 1865

No comments:

Post a Comment