Friday, April 16, 2010

Take Whatever: What's your talent?

I was reminded today that I had not blogged in a while. I then looked at my profile and realized that up until now I have had 47 profile views (pretty exciting) so anyway here goes.

Through pure laziness and unwillingness to focus on a show of substance, I found myself watching Australia’s got talent earlier in the week. Being a massive fan of musical theatre I, like the judges, was swept off my feet by a 12 year old girl’s rendition of “Popular” from the musical “Wicked”.

I find it unbelievable that at such a young age children are blessed with talents that, for the moment, they are too young to comprehend. Have a look, if you don’t love her I’d have to assume you were a little loopy!


See what I mean! Anyway this awakening got me thinking about talents, surprise, surprise! Isn’t it amazing that it seems to take a show like this for countries to stop and identify that, hiding in unsuspecting pockets all over the world, are people with secret gems, gifts of their own waiting to be shared, like chickens sitting on fresh eggs. The astonishing is that they may not be aware of their abilities yet, or they may never recognize them themselves , let alone have it seen by others.

It astounds me that, on occasion people become reluctant to share their talents with others. Is tall poppy syndrome so prevalent that people can’t play the talent card without feeling the wrath of envois onlookers? To Brianna bishop, at the time she walked on stage and performed her song, there is no possible way she could have envisaged all the smiles she would soon put on people’s faces as they paused the mundane activities of their daily lives for a moment to share in her experience. In a way, it was disheartening to watch the world stop in such astonishment over Susan Boyle, as, why shouldn’t we expect people from ordinary lives hold amazing gifts ready to be shared with anyone willing to listen.

Hopefully, shows such as these, encourage people to come forward on whatever level and acknowledge their abilities, allowing at least one other person to experience their success with them. I find that talents are more willingly accepted if they are tangible. If you can’t sing, you can’t dance, can’t write or manipulate your body in crazy and somewhat disturbing ways, people may not be as accepting of what you have to offer. I think confidence in your abilities is the first step in sharing them more fully. Maybe that’s a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment