Thursday, May 6, 2010

Back to school...


IMAGE: http://lifeinthefastlane.com

Last night I took a step backwards and forwards all at once. I went to my old school to talk about my “career” with current students. The school considered this event as an opportunity to inspire young girls to seek work in the future, not just husbands/financial providers. With nothing to lose I went along feeling very mature. I knew that at the very least this would give me a chance to say “I told you so” to all the teachers who saw very little in my future.

As I got ready that morning I thought about what I could wear that would show I was successful and committed I am to my “profession” while still maintaining that individual streak they complained about in my school reports. I chucked on my favourite work skirt- cute and classy, with my most comfortable and practical work shoes and I wore a black top in case I spilt a little lunch down my front throughout the day. Finally I opened a new packet of black stockings to show my school teachers that, five years on I could finally manage an entire day without laddering my stockings!

I arrived at the old school gates, locked the company car, and turned both my work phone and personal phone on silent- I thought damn I wish I was on pager right now! Anyway, I felt good. I was a bit late which is to be expected from a working girl, but I had informed them previously that this would be the case. I bumped into an old teacher Mr G, who said that he was pleased to have a representative from my family here and was thrilled to see my name on the list. I wanted to say, “I would have been thrilled to see my family represented on a few more trophies around the school” but I bit my tongue, he was a good teacher so I wasn’t going to give him a hard time. I politely responded that I was happy to come and share the knowledge I had acquired since school, then I was quickly swept away for supper with the other “mentors”.

To my surprise a girl who tends to ignore me on public transport approached and talked to me (interrupting the conversation I was already in)

Her: Emily! What are you working as?

Me: I’m a social worker

Her: Oh, do you even have to go to uni for that? I thought it was TAFE or something.

Me: Yes four years full time. So where are you working?

Her: Oh I’m still at uni, I don’t actually work while I study

Me: Well when u do graduate and start full time work, out paths may cross. I work a lot in family law.

SNAP!

Anyway the point of this post is to remind people that others will ALWAYS try put you down. Work hard and let their remarks slide, one day it will be your turn!!!

FYI- I got home and tripped over my dog, I ripped a massive hole in my stockings and took all the skin off my knee and hands, some things never change!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment